New moms – Your Experienced Nanny can be a Great Resource!
Kids don’t come with a manual. Well – that is not exactly true. Search for books on “parenting” on amazon.ca and you will find many manuals. Overly 100,000 actually!
But any new Mom (or Dad) who has tried to get through a pile of ‘how to guides’ before the new little one arrives will tell you the same thing: nothing prepares you for the reality of a new baby. Worse, advice in one book is often contradicted by advice in another book! What is a new Mom to do?
For those who have hired an experienced Nanny, you have a great living and breathing resource at your fingertips. For those who do not have the benefit of a Nanny’s support, we have compiled our top five pieces of advice from Nannies for new Moms:
- Mother’s intuition is real. Learn to listen to and trust your inner voice and instincts.
- Crying is okay. Babies cry to communicate and you will begin to understand what different cries mean. Oh – and you can cry too. It is a healthy release!
- Routines are your ally. If you were not ‘a routine person’ before baby arrived, it is time to become one! Babies do well with routines, so this discipline will be good for both of you.
- Learn basic first aid. You will likely never need to use it but knowing basic first aid, CPR and who to call in certain emergencies, will make you feel more confident.
- Start a milestone journal. Whilst you think you will remember each of your new baby’s “firsts”, you quickly find that so much is happening that it is hard to keep track. You will enjoy this keepsake forever.
- Okay just one more! Ask for help. If you, New Mom, are crying all the time or feeling overwhelmed or unsure, ask for help. There is no shame in it; quite the opposite.
If you are looking for an experienced Nanny to help with your children – whether you have just had your first or already have three or four running around – www.SOSsitter.ca can help!