The goal of homework is to help our children become independent students, to teach them to focus and organize. How can we help them in a positive way without doing the work for them ?! Here are some tips to accompany our little schoolchildren!
– Have a routine, a regular schedule, so that the child knows what to expect and avoid conflicts
– Choose a place to do homework: peaceful, well-lit, away from distractions
– Take breaks (adapt the frequency of breaks to the concentration of the child, each break should be of a maximum duration of 5 minutes)
– Supervise the homework period and make sure everything is done well (without doing the work for them!)
– Be realistic, positive, patient, value and encourage the child by avoiding stress
– Communicate with the teacher: the link between the child, the parent and the teacher is very important
– Make the homework period more creative by moving, changing environment, through play (write words with Scrabble letters, spell singing, ask questions as if you were at a TV quiz, etc.! )
– Use technology (with sites like www.alloprof.qc.ca)
– Encourage reading by setting a good example!