5 steps for a successful private school search – Part 2
It does not have to be dauting to find a private school for your child that fits your budget and your child’s needs. By following a 5 step selection process, the hassle and anxiousneess about the right choice are simply illiminated. We covered the first 2 steps in the previous post, now let’s see what are the last 3.
Step 3 – The Private School Expo
- What makes the school unique? What is the school’s philosophy?
- How does the school encourage involvement amongst parents, teachers and students?
- Ask for an outline of the school calendar. How long is the school day and the school year?
- What curriculum guidelines does the school follow and how are students evaluated? How do they respond to students who fall behind?
- What are the teachers’ qualifications?
- What is the average class size?
- What are the transportation options for my child?
- What is the admission process for my child? Is there a waiting list?
- How much is tuition and what other costs might I incur (e.g. uniform, books, equipment)?
- What are my payment options? What student financial assistance is available?
Step 4 – The School Visit
- While at the school, keep an eye out for these qualities:
- The quality of the campus grounds, lunchroom, sports facilities, and classrooms: Are they clean, operational, and safe?
- The diversity of the school: Is the student population multicultural enough for your child, or is that important to you?
- The classroom dynamics: How do students and teachers interact? Is that relationship what you’re looking for?
- The hallway scene: How do students interact with each other? And will your child fit in?
- Student supervision: How do administrators maintain a safe environment? How do they approach discipline?
- Completed application forms (many are now available online)
- Interview and possible entrance exam
- Non-refundable application fee
- Confidential school report from child’s current school
- Previous report cards (up to two or three years back)
- Test scores (depending on your child’s age and the school, it may be necessary for your child to write the Secondary School Admissions Test (SSAT) or another entrance exam)
TORONTO: Saturday October 15, 2011
HALTON-PEEL REGION: Sunday October 23, 2011
VANCOUVER: Sunday November 27, 2011
See Private School Expo for details.